Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Wednesday Wire: Free Tutorial Matching by Wrapping

I make all my Double Dips with copper wire. If you are creating a design in a different metal then how might you go about matching the metal?

Today's Wednesday Wire will show you how with a simple wrapping technique. I'm partial to the deep brown color of the Vintaj brass. Since it's impossible for a manufacturer to create all of the findings I could want, I often need to match the metals in my jewelry designs.

When using the Double Dips, I need the exposed wire to match the Vintaj bronze color. I buy fine gauge wire from Parawire to wrap around the copper wire of the Double Dip. Simple enough but there's a bit of a trick to it.


Gather up your tools and supplies:

Begin by wrapping a couple of winds around the wire leaving a 4 inch tail of wire at the end toward the glass bulb of the Double Dip:

Push the few wraps down toward the glass bulb. Now, wind in the opposite direction towards the other end keeping the wire nice and tight next to each other. I use my fingers to hold the wire in place as I wind but you can use your chainnose pliers to hold the wire in place as you wind.

When you reach the end, you can create a small "beadcap" by winding down onto the glass.

Cut the small gauge wire with your flush cutters.

Now you're done! Go to the opposite end and create a beadcap by winding and cutting the wire in the same way as you just did above.

Now I've got a double dip that will match the Vintaj brass perfectly!

6 comments:

Patti said...

Thanks for sharing! You're a very wonderfully creative person!

Davinia said...

Thank you for the great tutorial. I love those double dips, I think I need to get me some.

Unknown said...

Your double dips are adorable and fabulous idea on wrapping over them to match the wire color.

TesoriTrovati said...

Clever! I just bought a box full of wire from Parawire and I am itching to wrap things! Thanks for sharing your inspiration. Enjoy the day! Erin

Heather said...

Great tip, I sometimes get stumped when it comes to matching metals in my jewelry. I can think of lots of ways to apply this technique. Thank you for sharing!

KayzKreationz said...

What a great idea. I wouldn't have thought of wrapping with another color wire to make it match.