Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Coffee Talk and Erin's Question on Quality....

Pour a cup of joe and have a seat at my breakfast table. I wanted to respond to a comment Erin left on my blog yesterday:

"Are those double dips easy to bend? I would be afraid to break off the glass bubble on the end."

Erin's question brings up the issue of quality and kiln annealing.

Let me answer the first part of the question, "Are the double dips easy to bend?"



Yes. The wire is annealed (which means I've put the double dip in a kiln at a specified high temperature) which will soften the wire. The copper wire is then dead soft. I want it dead soft because the wire will become more hard as you work it into your jewelry designs.



Now on to the second part of Erin's question: "I would be afraid to break off the glass bubble on the end."

Double Dips are kiln annealed and not only does it soften the wire, but it strengthens the glass attached to the wire. I wrote a Wikibeadia entry for Art Bead Scene a few years ago on kiln annealed glass and why it's important to quality.

I also prototype my work. When I make new designs, I test to see if the metal and glass is in the right proportion to resist cracking and I wear it in designs to make sure it will hold up for you.

My attention to the quality and durability is a good reason to buy my handmade double dips, imported beads just don't have the same level of quality and durability.

I first tested glass headpins 6 years ago. I'm happy to report that none of the glass has broken or come off the end.


You can feel confident in the quality and durability of the Double Dips. Not only are they durable but they're a lovely handmade addition to any design.

2 comments:

TesoriTrovati said...

Hi Cindy! I made it into your blog today...imagine that! I hope you didn't take my question to be a negative. I think that they are so great. But I know how clumsy I can be. This clears up any concern I may have had (about me not your quality!). I do know how quality your work is, becuase I have several pieces and I love them all (and truthfully need to start working them into my jewelry more!). Thanks for the answers. Enjoy the day! Erin

Jen Judd said...

Great post. I think I'm going to use some for wedding jewelry this summer.