Sunday, August 10, 2008

Where in the World was Cindy?

Ok, so my pictures were sideways. Whaddayawant? I was taking the pictures from my cell phone camera and to get the full picture in, I had to turn it sideways.

Didja guess yet where I've been?

No?

Here's a few more pictures of places I visited while there.




Ok ok so they're probably not landmarks that are commonly known by everyone so I guess I'll just have to step back and give you the whole picture....



Yup, that's it.

The Windy City, Chicago, Illinois.

The top picture is The Chicago Public Library where we went to see author John Green. He was fabulous and The Teen was thrilled. Yup, we stood in line with all his books for him to sign. His books are banned from The Teen's high school, so of course, you KNOW I had to go and buy up every single one of them! Don't get the banning books thing because most of the books the school bans are the best pieces of literature. Green's work is first class literature. So, we bought an extra copy of one of the books to have him autograph for his English teacher. She's the one who provided us with a copy of all the banned titles at the school - and the one who encouraged The Teen to read John Green in the first place. We hope she'll like her present.

Anyhooooo back to the trip...errr vacation. Which it wasn't really because the whole trip was planned on what The Teen wanted to do. Yeah, I can hear the other parents groan and think WTF, Cindy, why are you planning your vacation around The Teen? You need YOU TIME. Time away from the obnoxiousness of teens, their angst and drama. Unfortunately I've got a good reason why we planned the vacation around him.

We like him.

I know I'm supposed to be ready to kick him out of the house and planning how I'm going to use his room when he's finally gone but it's just not happening that way. Oh sure, I admit during middle school I had signs up around the neighborhood offering him to a good home for free, but not now.

So, we didn't mind driving to Chicago for Wrock Chicago and the John Green talk.

What did I do? I went to the Art Institute and Grant Park. And yes, I went to the Wizard Rock concert. Why you ask? Because I like it. The music is good and if you've read the books, it's fun. What's better than a group called The Moaning Myrtles?

4 comments:

Deb said...

I tried Cindy, honest I did! - I looked at the artworks (& even reconized them, but not by name...lol).

Tell you what though - I have learned heaps about the USA since I started lampworking....(with a little help from Google Earth).

Hope it was/is a good vacation :o)

Cindy Gimbrone said...

LOL! I didn't make it very easy did I? Thanks for trying Deb - the internet helps me learn about other parts of the world too! I added a few things about the trip after you commented. It was fun!

Cindy

angelinabeadalina said...

Sounds like all of you had a great trip! I'll bet The Teen is thrilled with all that he got to do, and I'll bet he'll remember it for decades.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Hi Angela,

Yes he was thrilled and as a parent when your kid who has been picked on throughout high school sits at dinner and tells you with tears in his eyes he feels he fits finally, you know you've taken the right vacation :-)

Cindy