Saturday, July 29, 2006

Pink Alabastro glass....

Pink is a difficult color to achieve in glass - the gold used to make pink can be lost in the heat that is necessary to make the glass. I find that it's also a difficult color to photograph! The color looks washed out in the photo - it's a soft pink in person, a little deeper color than in the picture.

I used medium pink "alabastro" glass to sculpt a nude and wrap a dichroic glass stringer to create the illusion of stardust. The alabastro glass has a reputation for being fussy - the glass rod breaks apart in the flame. I worked the glass much cooler than I do the other glass so the whole process took longer than it normally does. The results are worth it!

2 comments:

Miachelle said...

The piece turned out terrific, and gray is always a great background for photographing colors that wash out otherwise. I have a piece of gray foam board for my white and pale pearl pieces for just that reason.

Cindy Gimbrone said...

Thanks, Jeweled Reporter! I usually use a light green color but the gray was just perfect!